The Cheesy, Yet Not so Cheesy Pasta
When I was a kid I absolutely looooooved a good old mac n cheese! Now that I am health conscious and eat whole foods something like mac n cheese doesn't fit into my healthy food lifestyle, I mean if you love it and like to have it as your weekly treat then by all means go for it, but this particular recipe that I've created you can have more than just once for a treat! It tastes amazing and cheesy too, even though there is absolutely no cheese in the dish!
Buckwheat "Cheesy" Pasta:
This dish is easy and only took 20 minutes to prepare and cook
dairy free x refined sugar free x vegan x vegetarian x whole food x naturally gluten free x
1 cup of Buckwheat spirals
1 broccoli (boiled, so its already cooked)
1 red onion (diced)
1 spring onion strand (chopped)
1 garlic clove (diced)
1 shallot (diced)
6-8 mushrooms (chopped)
1/2 tspn of chili
1 tspn of turmeric
1 table spoon of coconut oil
1/2 cup of almond milk
1/4 cup of nutritional yeast
1 table spoon of buckwheat flour
1. In a pot of water cook your buckwheat pasta spirals. Ensure you stir them every so often as the buckwheat spirals can thicken up the water its cooking in.
2. While the pasta is cooking, prepare all of your vegetables: red onion, shallots, spring onion, mushrooms and garlic.
3. Once your buckwheat spirals have softened and cooked, strain them and rinse.
4. In a pan add your coconut oil and all of your vegetables including the broccoli.
5. Add chilli, turmeric, himalayan pink salt and pepper and stir through the vegetables.
6. Add the pasta to the pan and stir through the vegetables.
7. Pour almond milk over the pasta and vegetables in the pan as well as buckwheat flour and nutritional yeast.
8. Stir it through everything in the pan and you should start to get a "cheesy pasta" type texture. 9. Taste the pasta and if you think it needs to be creamier or taste more cheesy then add more almond milk, buckwheat flour and nutritional yeast (your cheese replacement).
10. Serve as a side dish or your main event, if you feel like adding meat to this dish then you could add a tin of tuna or some grilled chicken.
Enjoy and if you make this recipe be sure to tag me on Instagram: @reneediment #ptwrenee